Thursday, October 14, 2010

500 Days of Summer

And now for something completely different...

I know I promised I was going to try and just do horror movies for October, but I caved and watched a different genre.




(500) Days of Summer - 2009


This movie was one I have had on my radar for awhile, I am a definite Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan and I am glad to see he has survived the trappings of child stardom and become a very decent actor in his own right.

I am however not a fan of Zooey Deschanel. I keep hearing how fanboys love her but I don't see it. She just seems so wooden and ... I don't know.... difficult. Like she'd be one of the most annoying people to just be around just by her mere presence.

It isn't like I haven't tried to like her. I have watched a lot of movies with her in them, but she's exactly the same in each of them. Oh well, onto the movie.

So this movie is the ANTI-romantic comedy. It sort of plays like it could be a romantic comedy but instead you have what is quite possibly one of the most real depictions of a real life romance and breakup. This isn't spoiling anything. They tell you that in the first 5 minutes of the film.

Despite my misgivings about about Zooey, Joseph carries this film entirely. He takes us on his emotional roller coaster of each stage of a relationship, and the gradual, painful realization that love is not always like it is in the movies, or sung about on the radio. His character Tom, is a character after my own heart, he is a hapless romantic who has sometimes unrealistic expectations of love and relationships. His inability to fathom that he has given himself over so completely to someone and it may not be completely mutual. It's a real, raw and honest film that tricks you into thinking it's a paint by numbers rom-com.

Some people will find this a pretentious hipster movie, and it definitely can feel that way, but it shouldn't be avoided because of it. I never considered myself a hipster, I don't wear tight jeans with white belts, but I did find it amusing that nearly all of the songs in the movie are on my own personal playlists for one reason or another.

As an aside, the movie is rife with other bit character actors including That Nerdy Guy from Criminal Minds (who does basically the same character but stupid in this film), and That Guy Who Looks Weird But is Married To Christina Hendricks (look him up, you'll recognize him from something), including other bit parts from people from Bones (which has Zooey's much more talented sister Emily) and Community (WAYYYY better than Modern Family.)

The good: The story, every character but Summer, and the self-awareness of the film that keeps it real despite the movie elements.

The bad: Don't act like you didn't expect me to say it. Zooey Deschanel. Upside to this, is you aren't terribly upset if he doesn't wind up with her. Ha ha.

Final Verdict: A definite must watch for any fan of the rom-com (how stupid a term is that anyway?) provided that you are strong enough to appreciate the reality of the situations depicted.


Add to the Vault? Mayhaps. I will have to mull it over some more before I decide for certain. Still a great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment