Monday, November 1, 2010

Dracula (1931)


Dracula (1931)

Well they can't all be winners. Following up the great Frankenstein with Boris Karloff,, I took in Bela Lugosi's turn as Dracula.

All I can say is that the music is nice. I never really pictured Dracula as an opera before (despite it being a ballet) but the only real merit to this film was the score. One character I enjoyed that never really struck me as being that interesting before was Renfield. Usually played to the point of ridiculous, Dwight Frye's Renfield was interesting and complex. Which is more than I can say about Bela Lugosi's effort at Dracula. There is a reason Christopher Lee's adaptation is considered more of THE Dracula on which to meet or beat.

On the whole the flick is pretty boring. The rest of the characters are forgettable, and the only other remotely interesting thing was how Edward Van Sloan's role as Van Helsing looked remarkably like Anthony Hopkins.


In other news, Halloween is always a big thing where I live now, and this year, one house had Frankenstein projected on their living room window. Very cool.

Good: Renfield, and the music.

Bad: Everything else.

Final Thoughts: Yawwwwn!

Add to the thought: Only if it needs to be preserved as a classic, or comes as a two pack with Frankenstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment