Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Scrooged (1988)


Scrooged (2003)

Wow, I saw the date on this and I can't believe it is over 20 years old. Man, I am getting old. This is undoubtedly one of my favorite holiday films. A goto film for getting firmly into the holiday season. It is by all accounts a retelling of the classic Dickens' A Christmas Carol, but oh what a retelling it is. Some may feel that this flick is dated, firmly embedded in the 80's, I however don't. This film for me is a timeless classic that is as relevant today (especially today) as it was back in the late 80's.

What's that? You don't know the Dickens' tale? Well Bill Murray plays Frank Cross a CEO type media mogul, who is a right bastard. Probably could give Billy Bob a run for his money. Cue ghosts, shenanigans and redemption.

But there is so much more going on. There are subtleties and hidden gems galore, which is why this film can be rewatched time and time again. Heck, I could probably give it another go one or two more times before Christmas gets here.

The good: Bill Murray, such a comedic goldmine he is! The effects! It was late 80's but such cool imagery, the ghost of Christmas Future is still creepy awesome to this day! The score! Danny Elfman has hints of some his most iconic work in this flick and hearing it as a taste of his future genius is cool.

The bad: The fashion. Ha ha.

Final Thoughts:  This is such a warm, fuzzy movie that I have nothing but good things to say. One of my all time favourites that has stayed with me since I watched it as a kid.

Add to the Vault: Undoubtedly. If it wasn't clear that you should run out and watch this movie immediately, you should go do so now. Well what are you waiting for?


What? You are still here? Gah, fine... here watch the trailer for Scrooged!

3 comments:

  1. YES. This movie is CLASSIC. I'd take this over 10 "a christmas story"s any day. also, you should review that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur. Maybe we are just the wrong age, but A Christmas Story always seemed awkward and jumbled and boring. Which is a feat unto itself, but in my books doesn't make it good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The
    text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Ie.
    I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon.
    Thanks

    Also visit my site - ford ranger forum

    ReplyDelete